Looks pretty good right? This cake is moist, light, and the combination of my roasted apple sauce and fresh apple chunks give it a truly unique, layered flavor. Best part: it’s actually quite healthy. Totally vegan, no gluten, no processed sugar (just a bit of agave). And don’t even think about ruining it with frosting! Instead, spread a bit of roasted apple sauce over the top of each piece and garnish with fruits and nuts.
OK. I admit the ingredient list is pretty lengthy, but often when you’re going gluten free you have to use a larger number of dry ingredients to get a quality baked good. Trust me though, it’s worth the effort. This apple cake is one of the best you’ll ever try!
1/2 c almonds
1/2 c cashews
1/2 c dates
2 Tbsp agave
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c coconut oil
1 c almond milk
1 c oven roasted apple sauce
1/2 c rice flour
1/2 c coconut flour
2 Tbsp potato starch
1 Tbsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 -3 apples
Dried cranberries and macadamia nuts (optional garnishes)
1. Start by combining cashews and almonds in a food processor.
2. Pulse until you have a fine nut meal.
3. Transfer meal to a separate bowl and add remaining dry ingredients (except for nutmeg).
4. Wipe out food processor, then combine banana, dates, agave, vanilla, coconut oil, and almond milk. Pulse until smooth.
5. Add the wet mixture to your bowl of dry ingredients, and fold with a rubber scraper. The batter should be thicker than your typical cake batter, but still needs to be moist enough to spread well in a pan. At this point you may need to add a bit of water to achieve a good batter. Just be sure that you add is no more than 1 tsp at a time.
6. Cut up apples into small cubes (about a 1/4 inch). Squeeze a bit of half your lemon over the pieces as you chop to prevent browning.
7. Add apples to your batter, and squeeze in the just from the rest of your lemon. This is also a good time to grate in a pinch or two of fresh nutmeg.
8. Spread batter evenly into a lightly greased cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 25 to 35 minutes
9. To serve, top with apple sauce, dried fruits, and crushed nuts.