I think that rosemary and chocolate is an amazing combination. I remember years ago, I saw a chef on some Food Network show make cookies with rosemary and chocolate, and I immediately mimicked the recipe, and boy, it was delicious. I actually made shortbread cookies the first time I met my boyfriend David’s mother Esti, and guess what I put in them? Rosemary and chocolate!
So I’ve been kinda crazy for scones recently. It took me a couple of tries to perfect my meyer ginger scone recipe, which means I’ve been having a scone with my breakfast each morning for about a week and a half now.
I wanted to keep this post vegan so when I converted the recipe I used 1/4 cup of apple sauce instead of an egg. Which actually added a nice sweet flavor that paired great with the rosemary and carob chips. Now, you could use semisweet chocolate chips, but I had some carob chips lying around. Or you could omit them all together and just go with rosemary scones.
1 c all purpose flour
1 c bread flour
1/2 c quinoa flour
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp psyllium husk powder
1/2 c vegetable shortening
1 Tbsp finely minced rosemary
1/2 c vegan carob chips
1/4 c apple sauce
2/3 c flax milk
1. Start by dicing your rosemary, set aside.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Cut in shortening until you have pea sized pieces. Add rosemary then carob chips. Place in freezer to rest for 10 minutes.
4. Add apple sauce and cold flax milk, mix with you hands, then flatten and shape into a disc on a heavily floured surface.
5. Cut into 8 pie slice shaped pieces. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with either a silicone mat or parchment paper, then let rest in the fridge while you preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit (400 convection).
6. Bake in the top rack of your oven for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the tops of your scones go brown. Note, that the carob chips towards the edges of the scones might drip as they melt. Don’t worry, it happens anytime you use carob instead of chocolate.
7. Let cool on a rack for at least half an hour before eating.